Our scholarship program is designed to create well rounded citizens that understand and value the importance of community service and involvement. Participants will participate in community service projects that challenge them to learn new skills while positively contributing to our community. The amount of funding they receive will be based on hours contributed to their community. One of our main lessons to participants is "The harder you work, the more you earn!"
Here are the basics of Powdered Soul's Youth Scholarship Program-
* To help youth participants lessen the financial burden of extracurricular activities on their families
* Help teach youth participants the value of community connections
* Leave a lasting impression on our community
How it works for our participants:
-Our scholarship term will run from May 2019- September 2019. During this time, participants will choose a project/organization where they would like to volunteer. This organization could be chosen from our preselected list or one where the participant already has connections. Our volunteers and board members will be involved during this process, aiding in correspondence between participants and organizations making sure the work fits the participants’ schedules and abilities. This oversight allows the participant to be involved in the process but relieves pressure on the parents to organize and schedule.
-Athletes will then begin their community service for this organization with a minimum of 15 hours required by the end of the term. The Fund will close October 1st. We will then divide the number of hours worked by Powdered Soul participants and award a per hour amount. While we won't know how much you will earn per hour, we do know the MORE you work the MORE you will earn.
- Participants will design and produce a product to sell at Farmers Markets around the valley. They will learn basic economics, business development, and marketing.
* 100% of all money raised will go towards individual participants scholarship accounts
* Powdered Soul will work hard with each participant, providing as much support and guidance as each participants needs. Whether this means individual meetings, or hosting parties where we build products together. Our goal is to make the youth self sufficient in this project. It is not intended for this to become a source of stress for parents or family. We want participants to get the most out of this experience possible. This includes feeling ownership as well as realizing they did the work, and are in control of the results. We have a tremendous group of adult volunteers, each willing to teach their area of expertise to these youth. From marketing, design, to basic power tool usage to complete their products in a safe manner.
If an athlete chooses this option, they will receive scholarships from the Powdered Soul General Fund. The scholarship money will be dispersed based on the number of hours a participant completes in community service projects. The goal with this program is to not only connect youth to our community, but also to teach them the value of hard work and money. Our General Fund awards will be made in October. Until the fund closes, we will not know how much each hour of community service will award. However, as in life, the MORE the youth puts into their work they MORE they will get out of it.
This option will include lessons on business plans, including pricing structure, marketing, and selling strategies. Participants will then create a product to sell in the community at the local Farmers Market. 100% of what participants raise will go towards their scholarship award. Not only will participants earn money towards their scholarship award, they will be learning real world job skills and economics.
We will be partnering with various local businesses to offer experiences where participants can learn how the business operates and delivers their product. After a tour, participants will take part in daily business tasks, learning important skills in how to be a good employee, while also exposing them to a variety of jobs for future consideration. Businesses can make a donation to the General Fund to be awarded to participants. We will also ask each business to fill out a form with tasks participants did well at, as well as areas where they could improve. We feel it is important for participants to come away with a greater level of respect for business owners, as well as useful skills for when they are in the job market.
Our 2019 Scholarship Program will run May- September 2019.
We will be offering this program to athletes in the Flathead Valley involved in ski racing, freeride, freestyle skiing, snowboarding, hockey, figure skating, nordic skiing, and gymnastics. This allows primarily winter sport athletes to earn funds for their sport in the “off season” when they have more time for other activities.
Up to 30 applicants will be accepted into the summer 2019 program.
The summer 2019 program will be available for athletes ages 12-17 (case by case basis: please contact us if you think your child should be considered)
The application for participation will be available starting February 1st and due April 1st.
**We will email you to confirm we received your application. If you do not receive an email confirmation by April 1st please let us know.